I don't post often. Not because I don't want to but, because I don't feel like I have anything worthwhile to say. I wanted this blog to be a whining free zone. So, I try to now whine and complain like a high school student. I read lots of other blogs of people close to my age and not close to my age and am always amazed at the things they have to say, what is going on in their life, or how they seem to have a purpose for their writing. So, I looked at myself and thought? "You are smart. Why be boring? What is prompting this total lack of creativity and ability to discuss issues?"
I was stumped.
Then, today I was talking with a friend and she was expressing some of the same feelings that I have had.
Mainly:
Where did all my friends go? I used to have friends.
My life does not suck but, where is the life I thought I was giving myself.
Am I letting my future self down with the choices I am currently making?
We realized we have what we will call "the mid 20's rut".
We are out of college so, that period of self discovery and carefree, responsibility free is over.
We are not in our first year out in the world either. This makes going to work less exciting/terrifying. The idea of being a grown up and paying the bills has worn off too.
We are also not financially secure yet and struggling to pay all of the bills.
What we also saw is how many people we know are having children. Many of those people seemed to have a more interesting life as well. Is the first 18-20 years of someone's life what makes us interested? The growing up project is what I will call it.
People need big projects. Something they have to devout themselves to entirely. Something that consumes a majority of their life.
What if this point in our lives is where we are searching for our next big project?
We went to school for 18 years. That huge life project is now over
When you have a child, it is like the next big 18 year project.
Are we conditioned to be in that cycle of working on the enormous project that is growing up? Once you finish the project, you must do it again but as the coach rather than the player?
So, what about the time in between our growing up projects, the time between being player and coach.
We find another project. Some may throw themselves into work, a new hobby, or a new passion.
Others may just skip the interm projects and go right to the coach stage of the growing up project.
I am not saying I want to stop everything I am doing and have a child just so I can have my next 18 year project.
I need to find my new project. Be creative again. Less boring. Just because you are 24 and married does not mean you have to have children or have to be depressing and boring.
Suggestions are welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment