Tuesday, January 18, 2011

defending my passion

Tonight I sat through a meeting where people talked about numbers and figures about how much it costs to educate a child. Until the point where the floor was opened up to the community, there was little mention about children or why the people there were sitting and waiting. We, the community, sat and waited for someone to talk about why it was proposed to make many cuts to our budget and why this was thought of and why it is ok. I don't think we really ever got our answer tonight. If we will ever get an answer is the real question now. So after over an hour of listening to things we already knew and numbers we can all read, the people waiting spoke their piece. Tonight, I heard some community members talk, parents speak their piece, and my colleagues defend their passion and careers.
 I am proud to call these people my co-workers. They stood up and defended why the arts, libraries, and early childhood education are important and vital to our children. They said things I wish I had the guts to say clearly.
So, I also joined them. I quickly wrote what I thought I wanted to say. Then, I mustered all I could, stood up, and invited the attendees entire forum to come to my second grade concert. I stated my name, where I worked, and what I taught. I then asked if everyone present would come to one of the four concerts my second graders will put on. I gave them the dates and times and reminded them that these are the days before the board decides what to do. Then, I said (the only thing off the cuff by the way) that I wish for them to see what our second graders are capable of. I sat down and then realized I just did what scares me the most. I talked in front of people.  A bunch of people. With out a word for word script and I wasn't about to sing something.


I will always fight for children to receive a quality arts education. Especially in the area of music. It scares me but, I did it and will do it continually.
I love my job.

2 comments:

TopHat said...

So many programs are being cut! When I taught before I had my daughter, the school had no art teacher or art room at all. On the plus side, they had 2 music rooms. The school district knew music was good for test scores, but since art hadn't been proven to improve test scores, it was cut. It's really sad.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your support! It really helps me (mentally) when I know others are out there who understand why I fight for quality arts education for all. I decided that if I get cut and cannot find another music position in a school I am going to start my own, fine arts based preschool and daycare. Then the only person who can cut me is me.