Many second grade teachers in my school have a giant paper turkey cut out that gets adorned with feathers decorated by students and then hung outside the classroom. Each feather is done at home and is supposed to be filled with all of the things the student is thankful for. The teacher always puts one together too. This year I looked at the one of the class across the hall from me and saw one that broke my heart. The feather was beautifully done and along with all the usual (food, my parents, siblings, xbox, my dog) it said my mom's doctor. This child is the youngest of their siblings and has a mother who is battling a debilitating and life ending disease. I feel sad just knowing what this student is reminded of daily. None the less, they are an amazing and bright student who is kind and sweet. I want to thank this doctor for giving a child more time, quality time, with their mother.
Maybe I should make my thankful feather an put it outside my room. I have much to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment