Saturday, February 9, 2013

Altering Perception

I have studied music my entire life. I seriously started studying music in high school and of course then into college. I used to sing opera, play in a marching band, and sing masterworks. I craved the highest level of music learning. Today, I am sitting on my couch looking at you tube videos of songs played on boom whackers, a series of colorful plastic tubes that are tuned. My colleague and I have decided that we need to get the staff to learn a song to play for the kids.

A friend who also teaches music described it as going from eating cake every day to eating cake 2-3 times a year. It is not as special feeling when you have it every day but once you get to the later portion, you fall all over yourself to have that 2-3 times a year experience.

I used to snub my nose at most pop music. It wasn't special enough. Today, I look at it as a doorway to bring my students into my little world.

No comments: