Saturday, February 2, 2013

Field trip

I went on my first field trip with my little friends this past week. I have been on field trips before but it was always taking the 8th graders to Great America. Nothing that I really cared about. My art teacher colleague and I ran a creative writing group based on artwork for some of our low but not low enough kids. WE had such amazing results that we got approval to take a special field trip to the Art Institute of Chicago to show them the paintings we wrote stories about.

Taking kids to their first museum is a big deal
Heard on the bus:
"We are going on the 94?"

They were so excited that we were going on the interstate to see something.

Once we got to the museum, it was nothing but pure wonder and joy with these third graders. They could see the real size of the paintings, the texture that does not come through in reproductions and posters. They heard about how old the works were and what they are made out of.

I hope every educator gets to experience what I did this week. Pure amazement at our cultural works.

No comments: