Tuesday, September 6, 2011
I have 4 classes of first grade that are accompanied by small groups of students from self contained special education classes. Typically, other than some extra help occasionally, there is no difference between the participation of any student from either class. I have a student this year who is new to me who screamed all the way through music class number 1. In class number 2 we just sat and made gumpy faces. The teacher and para and I agreed that they were capable of participating in class without much modification and that I would just act as I would with any other student. The next day, they were sent to the time out chair for a short time. The message came through loud and clear, I am the teacher and you are the student and you will participate in class or stay in the time out chair. So, then the stars started. I gave a star for each class completed without tears. This works well with this student. Today after giving the star, I hear this little voice say "I gotta get outta here!" I was crushed. I thought this student was finally enjoying music class. So I tell their teacher and find out, they talk about going to music all day long and "I gotta get outta here!" is just this kid's way of saying "time to go." Thank goodness, I was really sad for a moment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment