Thursday, September 8, 2011

Strange Children

I have 8 classes of first graders I teach in my music classroom. Most act like typical beginning of the year first graders. Young, immature, and adorable. But, I have one class that has what appears to be no squirrels, no screwballs, and no one with a problem with music at the end of the day. In fact, I use a call and response to get the class' attention and this whole class responded on the first time I used it. I should preface this with, I had only seen this class once before and that once was over a week earlier. I told them I was so excited because they were the first class that all responded on the first try. They informed me that they had been practicing. So, I asked their teacher if she used this same call and response in her room (I have heard others using it) and she said no. Apparently, the kids had been practicing music procedures on the playground. I have an extremly well behaved and self motivated group of first graders on my hands. What a buncha weirdos. Don't they want to be silly with the rest of the 6 year olds? No, they would rather practice how to behave in music class. Love it.

No comments: