Tuesday, November 2, 2010

naughty but oh so Hi-Lar-I-Ous

I have several sets of siblings that I teach. I love seeing how children from the same family work. This particular set is a third and first grader. Both boys with oh so much energy and on their minds. Today was their day for inappropriate for school but appropriate for the moment comments.

In the first grade class we were singing my special birthday song for another classmate. (We don't sing the traditional song. More on that another day.) He ended it by wishing the other child  a "Happy Burp Day." Totally what a first grade boy who is really quick would come up with. I have family members like this and I envy their brain speed and wit often. So, I try to stifle my laughter and remind him that was not a school appropriate topic.

In third grade, the older brother attends some higher level classes and meets his class in my room about 2 minutes after the rest of the class gets there. These students have the backpacks with wheels on them so they can tote all their books and things to the other classroom on the other side of the building. I had instruments all over my room and the kids know that they are to NEVER EVER step over an instrument. Especially an expensive one like a xylophone. (they cost lots of box tops) This class also is particularly challenging and difficult to manage. Lots of characters. So he is expertly driving through the field of xylophones and I comment on his excellent and safe driving. One of my darlings yells at him, "hey can you drive me to Dunkin' Donuts?" My awesome but slightly inappropriate student's response was "No, But I can drive you to the dumpster!"
I am guessing that the Darling who commented pesters the backpack driver enough and the comment was the last straw. I wanted to laugh and congratulate this kid so bad. But I knew once again I had to stifle the laughter and tell him to use school appropriate tone of voice and use the PBIS type behavior that we use. I also had to reprimand the Darling about shouting at others as well.

Maybe I will tell their mother at conferences how her kids make me laugh.

No comments: