Friday, August 26, 2011

First week

The first week of school is tiring and grueling, full or tears and that is just the teachers, especially in first grade. I love the challenges of the first week. It brings out all of our sides.
I have heard the phrase "Is that a good choice?" a thousand times. I have heard teachers discussing outside the bathroom how to open and close the stall doors. This same teacher had to instruct her boys to know when they needed to use a urinal or the potty in a stall. I had a student in a combined class of regular ed and self contained special ed  scream for the whole 25 minutes of music class. One kid even came up to me and said "I like you" but I have no idea who this student is and if they are even one of mine or go to music with the other music teacher in the building. Best part of being the music teacher? Going into the lunch room and being treated like a rock star. Everyone knows who you are (you know a few faces) and they all want to talk to you or give you a hug.Also in the lunch room, one of our veteran teachers realized she taught a kid how to do jello shots on accident. The first grader had forgotten a spoon to eat their jello cup with. She then just taught him how to tip the cup and suck in out. She realized what she did later and laughed.
Most favorite moment of the week:
A little girl and a little boy (first graders) both had to use the bathroom so I sent them. The bathroom is next door and then one more past that depending on which gender you are. Both got lost and came back to the room asking for me to show them again, I did so with myself half in the classroom and half out pointing to the doors next to my classroom. The two of them looked at each other and both headed into the girl's bathroom. I guess they figured if they both went in, no one would get lost.

No comments: