I am grateful to work with people who care about their students. I am grateful to work with special educators who don't rely on the fact that their students can wait in their wheelchairs while they check their phones.
For three days, I observed a summer school special education class in a town a little less than two hours away from home. The class I was assigned to was taught by a very nice, seasoned teacher who was great to work with albeit being a little scattered at times. The children I worked with definitely needed special education services but were not severe or profound in their disabilities. Three paraprofessionals were also in the class with us and it made for a very supportive and comfortable learning environment.
Our classroom adjoined another special education classroom, but of children who had severe and profound disabilities. The wall to the other classroom was always open so that both classes could use materials from each side. It was through observation of the other classroom where I witnessed some of the most ineffective teaching I have ever witnessed. Both the paras and the teacher regularly checked their cell phones and personal email during the 4 hours we were with the students. There was a general lack of structure and care in the daily plan of lessons and activities. Because that wall was open, I could hear every thing that went on. Hollering at students does not work. Hollering over and over again at a student who is severely developmentally delayed does even less. I am so grateful for the people I work with who are so much better for their students.They are creative, positive, and constantly showing the care they have for children with disabilities. I realize that being a teacher or aide for this population is tough and can burn you out. Regardless, the students require the best. I have noticed that often times we will let out educators with lesser skills be the teachers to students with lesser skills. I have a major problem with this.
No comments:
Post a Comment