Sunday, June 5, 2011

Light at the end of the tunnel

There are only 4 more days of school left. I have to remind myself this when I am exhausted from my current working schedule. (Teach during the week and work at the garden center all weekend) On Friday, I can do whatever I want to. As long as my classroom is cleaned out before then. Then come next Monday, I start my 6 week adventure of being a student again. After those 6 weeks, all I will need to take is a test and I will have an additional endorsement on my teaching certificate. The one that I just renewed for another year because I need one more year on it before it becomes a standard certificate instead of the kind they give to new teachers.

The next 4 days will still be grueling. C'mon, everyone remembers how crazy you were just before school let out for summer. Typically sweet and mild mannered children become screaming banshees in the hallway. The ones who were tough to begin with, out of control. I hope their parents are ready for them.

I also got my first end of the year thank you from a student last week. Being the music teacher, I don't get many. While the classroom teachers walk out with boxes of thank yous or had a room parent organize one big gift, us specials teachers are excited by the few hand made cards from select students and the occasional gift card to Target. It is usually the student who has been quiet all year and no trouble so you forget their name. Maybe because you never drew attention to them is why they thank you. Or that they are a nice student because they have nice parents who teach them how to act and to thank their teachers. I also notice that some of the most difficult students bring gifts. Maybe that is is an apology from their parents for their behavior and all the new gray hairs you just acquired. Either way, I will get through the last 4 days of school and love each one of the small tokens of appreciation from my students. Then, I will miss them all a week and a half after being out for the summer.

No comments: